Instagram, which used to be primarily a platform for personal use, is increasingly used by companies to promote their brands and their businesses. It allows organizations to show the friendly, personal side of themselves. In 2020, usage of social media has increased substantially as a way to access the larger world while we stay at home.
According to a study from Obvious.ly, an Influencer Marketing Agency, Instagram campaign impressions have increased by 22% between Q4 2019 and Q1 2020. Instagram is a cost-effective way to organically connect, build awareness, raise image perception, reach prospects and engage with current clients.
Here are a few tips to optimize Instagram for your business.
1. Understand Instagram culture. Instagram is heavily people focused and content is key. This is your opportunity to unite people, connect with a community and share stories.
2. Use images and videos. Clients respond best to original, engaging images and videos that do not look too staged. Give them a behind the scenes look at your company. Showcase employees and leadership and show your audience you care about people.
3. Increase your reach and grow your following. A large percentage of growth comes from partnerships and sharing. Support and collaborate with non-profits, local causes, other businesses and people that have the same target market.
4. Find the right time and frequency. Find the amount of posting that is right for your firm. This will depend on what you have to say, the resources that you have to devote to posting and other factors. The focus should be on quality, not quantity, and it’s important to maintain a regular schedule. And time of day for posting can make a difference. According to HubSpot, these are the best days and times for professional services to post on Instagram: Tuesday, Wednesday/Thursday, and Friday at 9 a.m. or 10 a.m.
5. Words matter. Although Instagram is primarily a visual platform, content and hashtags are still important. If you’re referencing a longer piece or an article from elsewhere, link to it via your bio. Use hashtags to help raise awareness of your profile.